friend

My Great Grandfather Cartoonized

Friday, 12 Jun 2009 | by Mark Tucker

Two days ago I discussed my new cartoon profile picture and talked about my interest in making a cartoon version of one of my ancestors.  One of my favorite ancestors is my great grandfather, Worth Tucker.  I have few pictures of him and what I do have is the result of too much photocopying.  The picture is grainy.

For this cartoon, I decided to do it all myself without the middle step of the Cartoon Me website.

Here are both the original photo and the cartoon version:

Worth Tucker Cartoon

What do you think?

6 Comments »

1. It’s wonderful! OK my turn, do my photo!

Comment by Sheri Fenley — 12 Jun 2009 @ 9:31 am

2. Cute! I am sure he would be flattered by your work!

Comment by bonnie — 12 Jun 2009 @ 9:59 am

3. What a wonderful idea! I think this would be great to create images of ancestors of whom I have a detailed physical description but no photos. In the Netherlands, when men got married, they had to supply a certificate indicating that they had fulfilled their military duties. This form included a detailed physical description, including the width of the head, nose, chin and the color of the eyes, hair and eyebrows. This is too little to create a photograph with, but it might just work as a cartoon. It would be an easy way to see how certain family traits were inherited!

Comment by Yvette — 12 Jun 2009 @ 10:03 am

4. Very cool Mark! What graphics program did you use to “do it yourself”?

Comment by Lisa Louise Cooke — 15 Jun 2009 @ 11:05 am

5. Just like with my likeness, I used Microsoft Expression Design 2. It is part of a suite that I use at work. If you are just starting out, try Inkscape as it is free http://www.inkscape.org/. Review the post: The New Me (as a Cartoon).

I like vector graphics programs for doing cartoons because you can start with a small grainy photo and once you have “traced” it, you can enlarge the vector image to the size that you want and not get distortion.

Good luck!